Famous Kansans » Check Your Knowledge
Try this eighteen-question test to see what you've learned about famous Kansans
Dwight D. Eisenhower was…
- Richard Nixon's vice president
- The Supreme Commander of American forces in the Pacific theatre during World War II
- The only general to be elected president in the 20th century
- A Vietnam War hero
Smith Center native Mitch Holthus is best known for what signature phrase?
- "Do you believe in miracles? YES!"
- "Touchdown, Kan-sas City!"
- "In your life have you seen anything like that!?"
- "Juuuuuust a bit outside."
What was Carry A. Nation a radical opponent of?
- Gender discrimination
What was the knickname that former University of Kansas basketball coach Forrest Allen was commonly known by?
Deborah Bryant is most well-known for…
- Becoming the first woman governor in Kansas history
- Authoring famous children's books
- Winning the Miss America Pageant
- Being an actress on the soap opera General Hospital
Of the 24 people to have flown to the Moon, ________ was the only one to have been from Kansas.
- Alan Shepard
- Buzz Aldrin
- Michael Collins
- Ron Evans
Which Kansas artist created the newspaper comic strips Beetle Bailey and Hi and Lois?
- Mort Walker
- Rudy Wendelin
- Bill Watterson
- Gary Larson
Joe Walsh was a member of what famous rock band?
- The Rolling Stones
- The Eagles
This man was the first person of Native American ancestry to hold either of the two highest offices in the executive branch of the United States government.
- Charles Curtis
- Alfred Landon
- David J. Brewer
- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Cyrus K. Holliday was the first president of what railroad?
- Union Pacific Railroad
- Western Pacific Railroad
- Burlington Northern Railroad
- Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad
What actress was the first African-American to win an Academy Award?
- Annette Bening
- Hattie McDaniel
- Inger Stevens
- Kirstie Alley
Martin and Osa Johnson were famed ________ during the 1920s and 1930s.
- Documentary filmmakers
- All of the above
He was the architect of the "greatest turnaround in college football history."
- Tom Osborne
- Bill Snyder
- Barry Switzer
- Mack Brown
What planet is astronomer Clyde Tombaugh credited with discovering?
What is Lynette Woodard famous for?
- The first woman to be named an All-American
- The first woman to play for the Harlem Globetrotters
- The first woman to play professional basketball
- The first woman to play basketball overseas
Donald K. Ross was awarded the Medal of Honor during World War II for his actions in what battle?
- Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor
- Battle of Midway
- Battle of the Bulge
He was the first high school runner to run a mile in under four minutes.
- Glenn Cunningham
- Wes Santee
- Jim Ryun
- Thane Baker
This Kansan was one of the greatest pitchers in the history of Major League Baseball.
- Walter Johnson
- Sandy Koufax
- Christy Mathewson
- Nolan Ryan